This is my final author before the Teen Book Festival (although there are a ton more) because TBF is tomorrow! I chose Vivian as my final because I’m going to be her volunteer handler (along with two teens). I’ve met her before and she’s really quite cool, down to earth and very nice. On to the important stuff!
Five Fun Facts about Vivian:
1. My parents taught me to speak French before English; but by the time I went to school, I’d forgotten just about all the French–so that when I took French as a foreign language in college, I just barely squeaked by.
2. I needed to wear glasses by the time I was 3 years old, but I hated to wear them. So I didn’t. This resulted in a reputation for being unfriendly because I wouldn’t call out “hi” to classmates–when in reality I simply couldn’t see them.
3. Besides the glasses, I wore braces as a kid; but afterwards my front teeth separated again, so I needed braces a second time as an adult.
4. In high school, we were required to give speeches. I practiced by addressing the stuffed animals in my room.
5. I love to play the Nancy Drew PC games, which are meant for 10-year-old girls. And–all right, all right!–I play at “junior detective” level.
Books by Vivian Vande Velde:
A Well-Timed Enchantment
A girl and her cat disappear back in time to retrieve a lost watch.
All Hallow’s Eve
Thirteen tales of Halloween horrors, including ghosts, vampires, and pranks gone awry.
Vivian Vande Velde’s spine-tingling collection of ghost stories!
Book of Mordred
Dark forces are taking hold in the kingdom of Camelot: King Arthur struggles to keep his knights in line as they steadily divide themselves into factions; the great Merlin has vanished at the hands of his lover and pupil, Nimue; wizards all over the countryside battle for whatever measures of power they can find. At the center of the maelstrom stands Keira, an innocent girl who possesses the ability to foretell the fate of her world. When Keira is kidnapped from her village home, her mother, Alayna, flees to Camelot and finds Mordred, an enigmatic knight who will ultimately become Keira’s greatest champion, Alayna’s greatest love, and King Arthur’s greatest enemy.
During the German occupation of France in 1940, 13-year-old Lisette meets a ghost while living with her aunt who harbors Jewish and Gypsy children in the French countryside.
Companions of the Night
When 16-year-old Kerry helps a young man escape from a group of men who claim he is a vampire, she finds herself faced with some bizarre and dangerous choices.
Curses, Inc. and Other Stories
Ten stories of enchantment.
Wrongly condemned for witchcraft, fifteen-year-old Alys is tempted to take revenge on her accusers when the dragon to which she has been sacrificed turns out to be an ally.
While playing a total immersion virtual reality game of kings and intrigue, 14-year-old Giannine learns that demonstrators have damaged the equipment to which she is connected, and she must win the game quickly or be damaged herself.
Magic Can Be Murder
When Nola sees a murder while she is casting a spell, she finds herself in the worst danger ever.
Never Trust a Dead Man
Wrongly convicted of murder and punished by being sealed in the tomb with the dead man, 17-year-old Selwyn enlists the help of a witch and the resurrected victim to find the true killer.
Now You See It
With Wendy’s new glasses, she begins to see cheerful corpses, old crones disguised as teenyboppers, and portals to another world–a place where everyone knows of the glasses’ powers and will do anything they can to get them.
Various people recall aspects of the life of Raquel Falcone, an unpopular, overweight freshman at Quail Run High School, including classmates, her parents, and the driver who struck and killed her as she was walking home from an animated film festival.
A collection of variations on the story of a boastful miller and the daughter he claims can spin straw into gold.
There’s a Dead Person Following My Sister Around
A funny, frightening tale about three modern children who are haunted–literally–by the ghosts of slavery.
Sixteen-year-old Nyssa uses her ability to see into people’s dreams to discover who murdered her parents six years ago.